GOOD MORNING, SUNDAY! It’s the perfect time to catch up on some of the great reporting and stories the Mercury churned out this week! (PRO TIP: If you despise being “the last to know,” then be one of the first to know by signing up for Mercury newsletters! All the latest stories shipped directly to your email’s in-box… and then… YOUR HEAD.)
• Portland Thorns Management Helped Enable and Perpetuate Abuse, According to Damning New Report
A damning new report accuses Portland Thorns owner Merritt Paulson and Gavin Wilkinson of covering up abuse allegations against former manager Paul Riley, as well as protecting him afterward, and impeding the investigation.
• Portland Approves Zenith Proposal for Renewable Fuels Operations
The city of Portland granted a land use permit to Zenith Energy Monday, paving the way for the company to continue operating its Northwest Portland facility—with conditions.
• THE TRASH REPORT
Let’s go, trash pandas! 🦝 It’s the latest TRASH REPORT from Elinor Jones. This week: Sly Stallone’s doggy diss, Lizzo’s magic crystal flute, and precious pics of sleepy puppies! 🐶 LET’S DIG IN.
• Thorns, Timbers Management Fires President of Soccer Gavin Wilkinson and President of Business Mike Golub
Thorns owner Merritt Paulson fired his top two executives after a report uncovered their role in enabling abuse against players.
• Fatal Crash Spurs Renewed Calls for Transportation Safety Changes on SE Powell
A fatal crash on inner SE Powell Blvd. this week has generated calls for immediate safety changes from transportation advocates and local politicians who have long considered the thoroughfare dangerous.
• POP QUIZ PDX
Hey brainy butt! 🤓 We challenge you to take the funnest trivia quiz in town, POP QUIZ PDX! Answer quizzy Qs about Portland’s “whitest city” status, Mingus Mapp’s poopy charter reform plan, and a certain soccer owner who should be FIRED! (Guess who?)
• Jury Finds Portland Police Liable For Unreasonable Force and Battery in First 2020 Protest Case
A jury has found the Portland Police Bureau (PPB) liable for battery and unreasonable force in an incident that left a 2020 racial justice protest attendee with a broken arm and PTSD.
• Get Those Wings Quick—WING WEEK Wraps Up TODAY!
Hurry, hurry! The Mercury‘s absolutely delicious WING WEEK—$6 plates of creative wings at 27 locations—ends TODAY, SUNDAY OCTOBER 9! 🏃♀️ 😋
• Transgender and Nonbinary Portlanders are Often Misgendered by Death Certificates, Officials Find
Over half of transgender and nonbinary people who died in the Portland metro area over the past decade were misgendered on their death certificates, a new study from tri-county officials found.
• HEAR IN PORTLAND
Aminé playing with the Oregon Symphony, a new round of Rontoms Sunday Sessions, and Hocus Pocus Drag—music columnist Jenni Moore has a list of shows she thinks you must see and HEAR IN PORTLAND.
• Thorns, Timbers Fan Groups Sever Ties With Club Management Over “Devastating” Report
Portland Thorns & Timbers supporters with sever ties with front office officials after US Soccer report reveals management lied to them.
• Film Review: Riotsville, U.S.A. Is a Surreal History Lesson on the Militarization of the US Police
In the ’60s the US government built fake towns where soldiers tear gassed and assaulted fake rioters. And they filmed it. The documentary “Riotsville U.S.A.” explores archival footage of the exercises and their influence on the law enforcement of today.
• Review: A New Documentary Shines Light on Abuse Within the Portland Thorns and Women’s Soccer
A new ESPN documentary digs deep into the sexual abuse scandals that rocked the Portland Thorns and the National Women’s Soccer League.
• SAVAGE LOVE
A hot Black gay man has issues with friends telling him it’s okay for others to objectify and harass him. What to do? Dan Savage has the advice in this week’s SAVAGE LOVE!
WOW, THAT IS A LOT OF GOOD READIN’. I hope you didn’t have any other plans this weekend! Dig in, and remember: Producing all this hard work costs moolah—so please consider contributing to the Mercury to keep it all coming! Thanks!